Friday, June 29, 2007

"Flower Print" - SOLD


I found this mug at the thrift shop. Best place to find inspiration. Strange. I am going to be out of town Monday thru Thursday. I will still be painting, but I will not post anything until I get back. I will probably post on eBay, just not my blog. I actually have a question... I think this painting is an 8"x6" not a 6"x8", right? Or is it the other way around? I have checked out gallery websites and most people list the height followed by the width. Does anybody know the rules or reasons for this? Anyway, I have changed all of my old posts to reflect this new rule.

6 comments:

Katherine Muschick Schneider said...

I had the same question awhile back. Info I got from several sucessful artist friends was to list height then width. So that's what I do.
Very nice work, by the way.:)
Kay

Michael Naples said...

I don't kow much about rules, but I'm a print designer by day we say width then height. So I do the same for my paintings. Fantastic work by the way...all of them. My favorite might be that black pot you made in college.

Douglas Pressley said...

I am also a graphic designer and Michael is correct -- width first, then height. Love your work, too.

Jennifer Keysar said...

I was confused about this when I first started working with my husband. He is a painter. I do web and graphic design. Designer's do width by height, as in a picture frame (8x10) or piece of paper (8.5x11), but artist's do height by width. Hope this helps. I like the paintings inspired by your children.

Jennifer Keysar said...

Actually, I was thinking about it more, and looked on some websites. With picture frames, it doesn't really matter, so I think they always put the shorter side first when listing the measurements.

aaronlifferth said...

Well, I have just consulted with all of my art books and without exception everyone lists their work height then width. And I find it interesting that graphic designers list opposite with width then height. I think that artists, snobbish as they are, just want to be different. Thanks for your comments.